Hey Everyone! Sorry I haven’t posted anything in a week; finals and studying took up all my time. But now it is summer and I am excited to share with you the recipe for the healthiest cookies you’ll ever eat. Only 66 calories each, these spongy, nutritional treats are perfect if you need a little sweet pick-me-up.
Banana Oatmeal Cookies
Canola Oil Spray
3/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinanmon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 large egg white
4-5 tbsp. sweetened applesauce
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 small bananas, one cut into 1-inch pieces, the other puréed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Set baking racks in top and lower thirds of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat 2 baking pans or cookie sheets with oil spray.
2. Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice in a mixing bowl. Mix in oats, raisins and nuts.
3. With a blender on medium speed, mix egg white, applesauce and sugar until smooth. Blend in pureéd and cut banana and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Pour banana mixture into bowl with dry ingredients, mixing with spatula until well combined. Batter will be fairly stiff.
4. Drop batter by walnut-size spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies at least 2 inches apart. Flatten them slightly with the back of a wet spoon, wetting spoon frequently between cookies, to make 2-inch cookies.
5. Bake 10 minutes, until cookies are golden brown and almost firm in the center when pressed with a finger. Transfer cookies to a baking rack and cool. Stored in airtight container, these cookies keep up to 1 week.